Weakened Wolves incur suspended fine

Wolves on Thursday were given a 25,000 pound (39,000 dollars) suspended fine for fielding a B side against Manchester United at Old Trafford in December.

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy changed his entire outfield line-up for the 3-0 Premier League loss to United from the side that had beaten Tottenham the previous weekend.

The only player surviving the cull was American goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann.

Wolves then recalled nine of the players that had been in action at White Hart Lane for the next league game at home to fellow strugglers Burnley and won 2-0.

The Premier League said in a statement: The Premier League Board has issued Wolverhampton Wanderers FC with a suspended 25,000 fine pound after deciding that the team fielded in their league fixture agains…

In-form Dutch promise to peak when it matters

Dutch playmaker Wesley Sneijder insisted on Wednesday his country s impressive pre-World Cup form counted for little, as Holland embark on another major tournament praying that their high hopes do not evaporate.

A 2-1 win over Mexico, an impressive 4-1 victory over fellow World Cup qualifiers Ghana and an emphatic 6-1 mauling of Hungary have indicated that the Dutch are in the form to launch a concerted bid to win the first World Cup in their history.

But Sneijder, fresh from winning the Champions League with Inter Milan, told AFP in an interview that the only match that mattered now was the first Group E clash against Denmark in Johannesburg on Monday.

We re not interested in being the world champions of friendly matches, he said at the team s training camp in…

A-League Review: Wanderers keeper Janjetovic pelted with snakes on return to Sydney FC

Western Sydney Wanderers goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic was pelted with toy snakes as he made his return to former club and arch-rivals Sydney FC in a 0-0 draw at Allianz Stadium.

After failing to make an A-League appearance for leaders Sydney this season, Janjetovic crossed the divide to join Wanderers on an 18-month deal in December and made just his second outing in the derby.

The goalkeeper was immediately booed but quickly made an impression, denying Slovakia international Filip Holosko before a backpedalling to tip a header from Alex Wilkinson over the top in spectacular fashion.

But as Janjetovic returned for the second half a section of the Sydney fans behind his goal made their feelings knowing, hurling plastic snakes in his direction.

There s leg…

Shaw going through ´difficult period´ – Mourinho

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho believes full-back Luke Shaw is going through a difficult period as he tries to break back into the first team.

Shaw, 21, has made just seven Premier League appearances this season, having missed most of 2015-16 due to a broken leg.

Questions have been raised over the England international s future as he battles to earn a spot in Mourinho s side.

The Portuguese tactician said injuries and bad timing have played their part for Shaw, who joined the club from Southampton in June 2014.

You try to have in the squad the players with more minutes, the players in better shape, in better condition, Mourinho said.

In Luke Shaw s case, even in the game against Reading, when he could have started the game and had 90 m…

Manchester City sign Burkina Faso youngster Kabore

Manchester City have signed teenage defender Issa Kabore from Belgian First Division club Mechelen

Kabore, a 19-year-old Burkina Faso international, will spend next season back at Mechelen on loan, having penned a five-year contract at the Etihad Stadium.

The right-back moved to Belgium from Rahimo in his homeland last August and went on to make five first-team appearances in 2019-20.

A fee has not been disclosed for the transfer, which remains subject to international clearance.

This is a win-win situation for all parties, said Mechelen sports director Tom Caluwe. 

 Alles is getekend. Alles is officieel.
Dit waren de eerste woorden van voor Issa

— KV Mechelen (@kvmechelen)

The player himself dreams of the Premi…

Ballon d´Or: Van Dijk one of seven Liverpool players in running for top award

Virgil van Dijk is been joined by six Liverpool team-mates in the 30-man shortlist for the 2019 Ballon d Or, while Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are also present.

Van Dijk played a vital role as Liverpool won the 2018-19 Champions League, producing several standout performances at the heart of Jurgen Klopp s defence en route to the title, making him one of the favourites for major individual awards.

He was pipped to The Best FIFA Men s Player award by Barcelona star Messi, who will surely be Van Dijk s biggest competition for the Ballon d Or having inspired a Barca side many consider underwhelming to the league title.

Fellow Reds stars Sadio Mane, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mohamed Salah, Alisson, Georginio Wijnaldum and Roberto Firmino all join Van Dijk on t…

Greek club Xanthi signs Christopher Katongo

Greek first division club Xanthi announced on Wednesday that they had signed Zambian international striker Christopher Katongo on a one-year contract.

No financial details of the deal were revealed by the club which finished fourth from bottom last season just avoiding relegation on the final day of the season.

The 28-year-old began his career in Zambia and South Africa before heading to Europe in 2007 when he signed for Norwegian side Brondby. He moved to Arminia Bielefeld in Germany in 2008.

Katongo made his international debut for Zambia in 2003 and has scored 11 goals in 51 appearances.

His brother Felix, who currently plays for Mamelodi Sundowns in South Africa, is also a Zambian international.

Jansen rules out Liverpool move

Germany defender Marcell Jansen’s agent has ruled out a move to Liverpool for the Hamburg star.

The 24-year-old was part of Germany’s impressive World Cup squad and scored the opener in their 3-2 win over Uruguay.

Jansen has been a hit at Hamburg since joining the club from Bayern Munich in a £7million deal in 2008.

The interest in him is a credit to Marcell, Gerd vom Bruch told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper.

But he is under contract with Hamburger SV and will be respecting this.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is in the market for a new full-back after selling Emiliano Insua and releasing Fabio Aurelio.

[Source: The Hamburger Morgenpost]

Premier League Preview: Manchester City v Aston Villa

Manchester City will stand on the verge of winning a second Premier League title in three years with victory over Aston Villa on Wednesday.

Liverpool s 3-3 draw at Crystal Palace on Monday left Brendan Rodgers men just a single point clear at the top, meaning victory in their game in hand against Villa at the Etihad Stadium would see City lead the way heading into the final weekend of the season.

Avoiding defeat against West Ham on Sunday would then likely be enough for Manuel Pellegrini s side, with the 2011-12 champions boasting a significantly better goal difference than Liverpool.

City arguably overcame their biggest hurdle in the run-in by battling to a 3-2 victory at Everton on Saturday, and forthcoming home clashes with Villa and West Ham will not fill many of t…

Heynckes humbled by FIFA Coach of the Year award

Jupp Heynckes was quick to praise everybody associated with former club Bayern Munich after being named FIFA World Coach of the Year.

The 68-year-old masterminded Bayern s unprecedented treble in 2013, guiding the club to a 23rd Bundesliga title as well as the DFB-Pokal and the UEFA Champions League last season before retiring and making way for Pep Guardiola.

Heynckes achievements were recognised at the FIFA Ballon d Or awards ceremony in Zurich on Monday as he beat former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson and Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp to land the gong.

It is the first time a German coach has won the award since its inception in 2010 and Heynckes wasted little time in paying tribute to the players and staff he had at his disposal at Bayern.

I m …